Boxed Style

আইফোন জিতে ক্লিক করুন

Friday 26 February 2016

Monira Islam Pappu Carving a niche in folk music

Single-mindedly following her dream to carve a niche in the world of folk music, Monira Islam Pappu has turned her passion into a profession. The artiste shared her journey with The Daily Star. Excerpts:
Monira Islam Pappu
A Correspondent
Tell us about your musical journey.
Pappu: I started learning music from a young age. I treasure those memories of Ramadan, when my sister and I used to sing Hamd along with my mother. In the beginning, I was trained by my sister. Later, to polish my skills I started training under Ustad Babu Rahman, and later under Koel Dasgupta. The journey on the path of music gathered momentum in 2006 when I joined Rabindra Bharati University (RBU), Kolkata, India. I completed my Honours and Masters in Classical Music there and am now doing my PhD on folk music at RBU.
How do you think folk music can be promoted?
Pappu:
Since folk music is already gaining popularity, my idea is to organise a Baul festival where Bauls from all over the country will present their rich heritage. Plus, we can honour and recognise their contributions, so that we can inspire the younger generation to develop their skills in folk music.
What can be done to popularise Bangladeshi folk music internationally?
Pappu:
Festivals help popularise folk music internationally. We also have to create a craze for folk music. If we modernise the songs without ruining their original essence, it will help in two ways. Firstly, if the songs earn the tagline of popularity it will help to redefine the songs in a new manner. In my view, if we stay rigid in terms of modernising folk music, it will be tough to keep this genre alive as the number of listeners will dwindle.