Boxed Style

আইফোন জিতে ক্লিক করুন

Wednesday 10 February 2016

NIPUN - BEYOND THE SCREEN

Nipun is an established name in the Bangladeshi film scene. Talented in what she does, she is known for being picky about what movie she chooses, and rightfully so, as she is a two time National Film Award winning actress. Showbiz chose to catch up with the talented actress and let her fans know of a Nipun beyond the silver screens.
Let's start off with an easy one. Have you always wanted to work in the media? How was your experience starting off in films?
To be honest, I never really wanted to work in this sector, and my family did not like it much as well. Sohanur Rahman Sohan first asked me to act in a film back in the year 2000, but I turned it down. Although I left the country for my studies soon after, I always kept in touch with Sohan and ultimately I started out in acting after I came back to Bangladesh with “Pitar Ashon”. Not only was the film a commercial success, but the audience received my debut very well as well and my name started to buzz all over the industry right after that. I did not have to look back after that. I acted in “Rickshawalar Prem” after that, directed by Rakibul Alam Rakib, and that too served as a turning point in my career. However, “Pitar Ashon” gave me a solid footing in the industry, and it has been a wonderful ride ever since.
So the start was quite nice, you didn't have to work very hard. What do you keep in mind when working for a new film?
No, I didn't really have to work very hard as the stream of commercial successes of my films made several offers come my way. What I consciously did was that I never let the winds guide me; I always looked into the movies and pick the films that I felt was right for me. Especially in terms of the story and script and how impactful my role is in the film, regardless of how big or small it is. Basically a good story and a powerful character is what I prefer, as I believe a good story always deserves my best performance. I always focus more on quality rather than the quantity of my work.
Let's hear out the names of some of your favourite movies, and some of your preferred pastimes.
“Shaajghor”, “Chaader Moto Bou”, “Rickshawalar Prem”, “Pitar Ashon”, “Maa Boro Na Bou Boro”, “Ei To Bhalobasha” are some of the movies which are on my favourites list. I watch them from time to time and listen to the songs when I'm free. As a pastime, I mostly stay at home and decorate my home. I love designing the interior of my home, but I also like to watch movies and hang out with my friends.
There are very little promotional initiatives for films in our industry. Don't you think the artists should be given a role to play in promoting their works?
This is correct that the amount of marketing done for films in our industry is almost nonexistent. The fans do not get to know of very good films because of this lack of promotion. I think it is important, not only for the artists, but for everyone involved in a production to dedicate some time towards promoting their work as it would lead to more awareness and better chances of commercial success of the films.
You studied in computer science when you were abroad, and now you're in acting. Do you have plans to do anything besides films?
Since I studied computer science, I plan on making use of the degree and start an IT business. I already have a plan in the works and hope to start off with it in the New Year.
Do you have plans on getting married again?
My mother keeps urging me to get married; my daughter is studying in the ninth grade and she's supportive of that as well. I have plans on getting married after she goes off to college. Let's see what happens; only time will tell.
What works do you have coming up for the fans?
Both of my upcoming works are with Ferdous. One is a children's film “Shovon-er Shadhinota” directed by Manik Manobik which is to be released this month. The other is “Shorgo Theke Norok” by Arupratan Chowdhury, which is centred on a social awareness issue.
Interviewed by Zahid Akbar & 
Narrated by Mohaiminul Islam