Boxed Style

আইফোন জিতে ক্লিক করুন

Monday 24 November 2014

Photography A Balancing Act

Bisnakandi in Gowainghat upazila.
Bisnakandi in Gowainghat upazila.
Bisnakandi in Gowainghat upazila.
Originally a software engineer from the Silicon Valley, Ihtisham Kabir, is an avid photographer who literally goes out of his way to discover the beautiful side of Bangladesh. His weekly column 'Tangents' in The Daily Star is a proof of his obsession with nature and positive Bangladesh as well as his undeniable talent in storytelling through his lively pictures and engaging writing style. His books of colour photographs, 'Sundarban: A Photographic Journey' and 'Chasing Paradise: Birds and Flowers of Bangladesh' were published in 2012 and 2013 respectively. This year at the Hay Festival he introduces yet another delightful book of photography 'Sylhet – Nature, Wildlife, Birds'.  He talks to the Star about his latest venture.
When did you start taking photography seriously?
Around 1979, when I was an undergraduate in the USA, I went to an exhibition of photographs by Ansel Adams on campus (Cornell University). I realised it was a powerful and beautiful art form and became hooked. Soon I learned to process black and white film and prints. Later, digital photography was easy for me becausemy career as a software engineer involved the design of software for digital imaging.
Your photographs invariably project a positive aspect of life as do your writings – why this need to always show Bangladesh in a positive light? What about all the tragic, sad and unsavoury side of life?
I think it is a matter of balance. There are any number of photographers out there showing negative sides of Bangladesh and very few showing the positives. As a result we continue to have a negative image worldwide. But there are many beautiful and wonderful things in this country where I grew up – a nation that has made tremendous progress in the last two or three decades. I think of my work as a balancing act.
The writer at Merukundu in Madhobkundo.
The writer at Merukundu in Madhobkundo.
When did you become a bird watcher and why?
In 2008 I went to a trip in Sundarban and learned about our special birds. I met birdwatchers from abroad coming here to see the Masked Finfoot, and thereafter discovered how rich we are in bird diversity despite our population pressure. The more I learned about our 700 species of birds, the more I enjoyed searching and photographing them.
In 2012 I returned to Sundarban with the proper equipment and photographed many bird species, which are included in my first photobook “Sundarban.” In 2013, I made a second photobook on special bird and flower species of Bangladesh, called “Chasing Paradise.”
Jaflong, a favourite scenic spot.
Jaflong, a favourite scenic spot.I also became a member of Bangladesh Bird Club (started by EnamUlHaque) and this provided a way to connect with our other birders. The HonourableUS Ambassador Dan Mozena is an avid birdwatcherand I have guided him on several birdwatching trips in and around Dhaka.
How difficult is it to photograph birds? What were the major challenges?
There are personal and technical challenges. It requires immense patience to photograph birds. Technically, without a long telephoto lens it can be very frustrating because you might see a rare bird (like that first Masked Finfoot I saw in Sundarban) but in the photograph it comes out looking tiny.
Of course you have to find places with birds. We are incredibly lucky that birds abound in all areas of Dhaka with trees. The National Botanical Garden in Mirpurdelightful for bird-watching. In winter, Jahangirnagar University hosts migratory birds, as do many of our Haors and rivers.
Why did you decide to come back to Bangladesh – has your pursuit of taking pictures changed the way you look at Bangladesh?
After spending three decades abroad, most of it working as a software engineer in Silicon Valley, my wife and I decided to return home because my father and her parents were getting older and we wanted to spend more time with them. The pursuit of photography has helped me know and appreciate the country better.
– A M A
Water lillies in a canal near Rajnagar, Moulvibazar.
Water lillies in a canal near Rajnagar, Moulvibazar.

Published: 12:00 am Friday, November 21, 2014