Boxed Style

আইফোন জিতে ক্লিক করুন

Monday 24 November 2014

Living with the stars;Thinking beyond borders

Rafi Hossain
Probably one of the largest events of the year in the media, if not the largest, is the Lux Channel i Superstar program. And I've written about this before. The Superstar program in Bangladesh was first started by Shahadat Chowdhury, Editor of Anondodhara, who was one of few truly visionary people I have had the honour of knowing. At the program's inception, people considered the program not fitting in with the culture of Bangladesh and even remarked that the program will not be a successful one. But Shahadat bhai proved these people wrong. And as I've commented before, in recent times, the superstars coming out of the program has not been able to hold a candle to the superstars of the 90s. This year, I was fortunate enough to attend the gala ceremony of the Superstar program of 2014, held last week, and I must admit, the quality of the overall presentation and the sophistication of technically sound event management was obviously very good. I have seen the event improving over time in recent years. For those who do not know, the Lux Channel i Superstar program is not merely a beauty pageant, that is only one facet of it. There is also a world of training and grooming, and support functions to realize the full potential of those participating in the contest. After a long time, I have been impressed with this year's program overall. In every sphere of the program, be it selection, grooming, costumes, choreography the final event itself, you name it, the Superstar program has truly reached a new height. These three winners came out throw a tight funnel, starting with an initial list of 300 participants, grooming started with 20. As the season progressed, the number whittled down to 10, and then to the 5 finalists and then 3 winners. So, the three faces that are now on the billboards across the country have survived and excelled very tough selection and knockout phases to become the superstars of 2014. Some of my colleagues in the media who were at the gala night with me seconded my thoughts, that Nadia, Nazifa and Neela really deserve the title of 'Superstars'. Prior to the final selection, I had the opportunity of meeting the finalists to share a few words about their experience and their future plans. I was pleased to hear that they all plan to work in the media and develop a career as performers. When I met them, I was trying to identify which of them were the prettiest, brightest and most likely to win the contest. But I really could not settle on any of them, because I really see that all of them have the potential to excel in the Bangladesh media if they focus their efforts and learn their craft well. Their confidence really gave me hope, especially when I heard from one of them that their eventual target is to not only become a star in Bangladesh, but an international star. If they do succeed in this endeavor, and when they do, it will be a mark of progress not only for them individually, but also for the media in Bangladesh as a whole. I think it is important to dream big, to have the confidence to think globally. Only then can talents begin to chart a path to follow to achieve that dream.